Saturday, July 04, 2020

HAMILTON, The Disney Channel Movie






Last nigh we watched the movie/stage play/musical HALMILTON. It was great. I learned a lot of history, although I had to absorb and retain it all through hip-hop lyrics. The stage had no props and relied on hand-gestured symbolism. However the stage had a large round revolving portion probably about the size of a small Merry Go-Around.
It was fast paced and I think they assumed you, a member of the audience, knew the story of every fact they belted out, rhyming of course.
Doing family research I dabbled some in historical facts. I knew Aaron Burr killed Hamilton in a duel, across the Hudson in New Jersey, not from research but from a LAW & ORDER TV episode.. General Nathan Green was mentioned, I knew General Green was given a plantation for his heroic deeds in the Revolutionary War. Winston Tyson was given the job of teaching Nathan’s children. Winston Tyson was a sister of my grear-great grandfather Eugene Hargraves Tyson. General Lee was talked about and his mistake. I missed what the mistake General “Lighthorse Harry”Lee made in the war, if they sung it at all, but it must have been a doozy, he was suspended for one year. The play also, as far as I know, did not mention that General Lighthorse Harry” that after the war he visited General Nathan Green’s plantation on the coast of Georgia, and died there. General “Lighthorse Harry” is the father of Robert E. Lee. They didn’t mention that either, and I can see why, the story wasn’t about him.
It was good!
PS Alexander Hamilton (1755 or 57-1804) was from Puerto Rico but came to American at a young age. Lia-Manuel Miranda is of PuertoRican decent but has not been there until recently.



Kathy Adcock Proaps, Carol Bettis Webster and 1 other

No comments: