Sunday, April 14, 2019

Postal Blues






Yesterday I went to the Post Office to get our mail.  We have had a post office box for almost 20 years.  We got a PO box when our neighbor Bob, who was high most of the time, knocked our mailbox  down by backing into our mail box five or six times.
Most of the time he came forward, admitted backing into it and put it up again.  Once he said he did not back into it that time.  But his adolescent son, standing by said he did.  He was in his dad’s truck playing and the truck started rolling.  He said, “Remember Dad, you had to put the truck back in our driveway.”  Bob admitted it and replaced the mailbox again.

We decided we didn’t want to put up with this, so I rented a PO box.

Yesterday when I went to the post office, it was after hours.  They close at 1 pm on Saturdays.  My PO Box key would not turn to open it.  I noticed in the lobby a makeshift work bench was there with a bunch of PO box locks on it.  I’m sure they changed my lock along with some others.

This is the post office I worked at until I retired at in 2000.
I walked around the back to go into the carriers’ door to talk to someone about it and get my mail.  I have been retired almost 20 years and I expected most of the people I worked with have also retired or died.  It looks they all did.

When I walked through the back door and saw two people  pushing hampers and walked up to them and they saw me, I might as well been carrying  an assault rifle.

“SIR!  WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!  YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED IN HERE!”  And they shooed me out.
One told me to meet him in the lobby.  

I went back to the lobby.  He was nicer.  He listened to my story and went inside and checked my mail and I did not have any anyway.

I told him I was at this post office from the first day they opened it and retired there.

He thanked me for my service and told me I would have to come back Monday to talk to someone of authority to find out why the locks were changed.

OK.

After thinking it over, Monday will be a bad day at the Post Office.  That will be April the 15th.  The line will be out of sight with IRS procrastinators.  Shit! 

No comments: