Thursday, April 11, 2019

Georgia and Cecil




This is Cecil Grant(1901-1958) and his wife, my mother's oldest sibling, Georgia Petty Grant. (1906-1966). They lived in Chattanooga. Cecil worked in a mill, Coats and Clark Threadmill I think. They had no children. Cecil had several interests he pursued. He was an avid cowboy movies collector. He had Tom Mix, Lash LaRue, Gene Autry, Tom Steele, you name them he had them. He built a little out building in his backyard, ran electricity out to it and had a 16MM projector and had his own private movie theater. I am not sure Georgia ever stepped foot into his movie house. It wasn't her thing In the closet in the living room there was a banjo, I don't know who strummed that, probably Cecil.
Cecil only got one week of vacation a year. Each year during their one week vacation they drove to Marietta for Georgia to visit her sisters and brother for a couple of days. Their vacations always coincided with then the Southeastern Fair in Atlanta at Lakewood Fairgrounds were going on. Every year spent a day at the Southeastern Fair, alone. What he did or looked at, no one knows.
Cecil was bald headed. On one of their visits I had a top that I enjoyed playing with. I remember seriously asking Cecil if I could spin my top on his head. I was about 4 or 5 years old at the time. Everybody cracked up laughing. But to me, the bottom line form a parent was "No!"
Georgia was high-strung. Many times on her visits there was a verbal fight. My uncle Roy told me one time Georgia threatened to bash a tea cup on her sister Sarah's head, but I don't know if that was on one of their visits to Marietta or the family visiting them in Chattanooga. Or, if it happened at all.
One day Cecil was reroofing his little movie theater-house. He was using a metal hammer and no gloves. His nail hit a live electrical wire electrocuted him instantly..
They are buried at West Hill Cemetery in Dalton, Georgia.

No comments: