Saturday, April 27, 2019

An Evening at the Theater




Yesterday evening we went to the Elm Street Cultural Arts Village in Woodstock to see the musical BRIGHT STAR. BRIGHT STAR has Steve Martin connections. He wrote the story. It is claimed to be a true story. The coincidental or synchronizing of people had to be divine intervention – I’ll stop abruptly, I don’t want to spoil it.

Before the play started several people sat behind us. One lady on a walker asked us could she park her walker “here” and we said go ahead. She was very talkative to the people she came with and some other people that walked by. She never met a stranger. Some things she said, pointing out people she knew, that she was a Woodstock native. At intermission I turned around and asked her was she a Woodstock native. If she said yes I was going to “name drop” some relatives in the area, she would probably know them. She happily said she lives in Canton and is from Marietta. We talked about the play and this and that. Then we ran out of trying to think of things to talk about and quit and I turned around. She kept on talking of course, to her friends she was sitting with. I heard her say “They got a restraining order against me.”

I wanted to turn around and ask her “What for?” but decided against it.

Not that it matters, but I started counting actors the play involved – they kept moving getting me confused and starting over, but I think they had 14 to 16, maybe less, because some played duel rolls and five or six musicians, again some played more than one instrument, and some of the musicians had dancing rolls, which also fumbled up my counting.

No comments: