Saturday, January 12, 2019










On today’s date in history, January 12, 1921, Kennesaw Mountain Landis (1866-1940) was appointed the first Commissioner of Baseball.

The name!  Kennesaw Mountain!

Kennesaw Mountain is here on the edger of Marietta.  In June, 1844, was a big Civil War Battle fought on and around the mountain, Sherman vs Johnston.

Kennesaw Mountain Landis was born in Ohio in 1866, about two years after the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain.  I do not know, but I would almost bet Kennesaw Mountain’s father was a Yankee soldier in that battle and it made such an impression on him, he and his wife named their child after it.

My great grandfather William A. Trammell (Hunter) fought in the Battle of Kennesaw  Mountain also, but for the south.  Among his and Emaline’s children, mostly boys, were twins.  They could have named Oscar and Arthur Big Kennesaw Mountain and Little Kennesaw Mountain.

Also, a few months before the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain Sherman and his soldiers were in the Chattanooga  Dalton area.  He sent a handful of scouts on horseback south to check out the terrain.  About five or six miles north of here they ran into the home guard and had a skirmish at what is now Bells Ferry Road and Highway 92.  They had the skirmish at my Tysons’ family cemetery, by then already two of my Tyson ancestors were buried there.

Someone that survived that skirmish could have named their child “Tyson Family Cemetery”.

Years later:  “Hi!  My name is Tyson Family Cemetery.  My friends just call me Family Cemetery.” 

No comments: