Sunday, January 25, 2009

SUNDAY FUNNIES - MAD #1 continued


The above is the artwork for the cover of MAD comicbook number 1. It was done by the late Harvey Kurtzman, who also wrote all the stores.

As usual, click on the pictures for a bigger picture.

Last Sunday on this blog was Sunday Funnies. Then, I had the splash page by Will Elder of the story GANEFS! (notice – Have you ever noticed that all titles and sentences in MAD end with an exclamation point?).

This Sunday, here we go again. We are still with MAD comicbook number 1. This time I am showing the splash pages in the first issue of MAD except GANEFS

Jack Davis illustrated the first story: HOOHAH!



Wally Wood illustrated the second story: BLOBS!




Will Elder illustrated the third story, which you have already seen, so we are leaping over that one to the next one.

And John Severin illustrated the fourth story VARMINT!

2 comments:

Si's blog said...

Thanks for bringing back memories of my misspent youth. How many hours I threw away reading Mad in the secrecy of my room listening for my Dad's footfall in the hallway. He approved of Classic Comics but not Mad or other uneducational trash. Little did he know that I was using Classic Comics to write book reports instead of reading the book through. Should have written book reports on Mad. the wisdom of the ages is catalogued in Mad.

Eddie said...

Si,
Hey! I did my book reports from Classic Comics also. Ironically, Harvey Kurtzman, the MAD writer/editor, one time worked for Classic Comics.... and I think I remember the publisher of MAD, William Gaines' father one time owned CC, or maybe a portion of the company.