Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama Fighting for Truth, Justice, & the American Way


We watched the inauguration yesterday. It was really something to see. It is about as close as we come to bowing to royalty and worshiping the ground thy lordships walks on.

There were so many house-hold-name politicians floating all over the screen patting backs and smiling.

One Republican they talked to was saying it was time to act and do away with childish quarrels of the past – lets get on with it! He reminded me of Charles Durning, playing to Governor in “Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?” when he realized the crowd loved the Soggy Bottom Boys’ music and got up on stage and shook his ass with the music too. Maybe you would have to have been there.

That reminds me, my PARDON MY PRESIDENT tear a page weekly calendar, this week told me in 2003 Republican Ohio congressman Bob Ney ordered that all French fries sold in the U.S. capitol be renamed “freedom fires” in retaliation for France’s opposition to invading Iraq.
A few years later he was sent to federal prison for corruption.

Soon –to-be-banished Vice President Dick Chaney was in a wheelchair. Anna said, “What happened to him, did he shoot himself?”

I admired soon-to-be-banished president George Bush for gracefully bowing out so the man of the day could be sworn in and make a speech and tell us it wasn’t about him, it was all about us.

And, by watching the sea of people covering the Mall and the streets of DC, I think the people really believe it is all about them. And I think they are right. And by the way, it was bitter cold, around 19◦. Brrrr.

I think President Obama is an elegant speaker and knows how to move people like a Bible thumping preacher….. I think he can get people worked up in frenzy to do what is necessary to get us out of this economic downward tail-spin we are in. FDR did it – I think BO can too. And, maybe not, only time will tell.

I just hope the radical nuts leave him alone and let him do his job and not throw any shoes at him.

I only wish I had the foresight to be there in that freezing temperature running a “I LIKE BARACK OBAMA” T-shirt stand.

4 comments:

Si's blog said...

It was a moving event, indeed. Now, let's see what the substance is. Encouraged, think he will produce. If Pelosi and Reid (the Cheneys of Obama's administration) will do what's best for the country instead of what's best for themselves and The Party.

Love the Cheney quote. We want to hear more from Anna.

Eddie said...

Si,
Maybe I should follow Anna around with a note pad.

Susan Tidwell said...

I was working, and pushed the Record button on my DVR. Every so often I would go downstairs and fast forward through stuff, pause if I saw something interesting, then move on. Of course for the actual ceremony I watched it live. Good to see all those other presidents there and all the other millions of people. Hey, what was up with George H. Bush's hat? It was a great day in the nation's capitol, looking forward to the next 4 years.

Eddie said...

Susan,
I think George H.B.'s jumping out of airplanes has finally caught up with him... he suddenly turned old.
I don't know if you caught his and Barbara's grand entrance - if you fast forwarded through it, you might have missed it - but he had a very pronounced limp.