Friday, March 15, 2024

Bad Word Sandwiches in the Navy

 Me as Duty Driver.

Another New Jersey Navy tale;

When I was stationed with Helicopter Utility Squadron (HU-4) at Lakehurst, New Jersey, once or twice a week, I had duty after regular work hours.  Some times, because I had a government drivers license I was the Duty Driver.  If wheels were needed I was their man.

One of the duties of the Duty Driver was to go to the chow hall, after hours to pick up sandwiches for the night crew.  We fondly called hose salami sandwiches, “Horse Cock Sandwiches.”oHH

Anyway, one evening, doing my routine runs as duty driver I dropped by the Chow Hall to pick up the night’s Horse Cock Sandwiches.

Two of the men got up my order when a dunk came out of the office and asked what I wanted.   I told him and smiled when I said, “Horse Cock Sandwiches.”

The drunk did not smile.  He got in my face and said, “Do you think that is funny.”

He asked, “What is so funny about that?”

I shrugged.

He got close in my face.  We were having a standoff.

Finally, one of cooks handed me my sack and broke his glare.

When I got back to the duty office I tossed the sack of sandwiches on the counter and said, “Enjoy!  I had to work for these, put on a show.”

The duty chief said, “How so?’

I told him.

The duty officer listened but did not say anything.

About a month later I was called to the main Barracks Building office to a military hearing.  The drunk cook was the defendant.    I had to tell the same story. 

The poor guy got kicked out of the Navy, only months from retirement

No comments: