Saturday, September 16, 2023

Lee Sinatra

 

Years ago I worked about 3 years in an office at Sinclair Refining Warehouse in Atlanta.  In the office were about 10 co-workers.  The man at the desk behind me was an old little skinny grouchy man named Lee.  Lee kept up with incoming money.   He was always on his adding machine.  That was before compouters. And he also manned the Coke machine.  I think the Coke machine was his own property.  He kept it loaded and he counted the money he got out of it.  He was high strung and nervous.  He reminded me of Barney Fife. 

Lee was married and talked about his wife and grandkids.

A co-woeker, John, and I went in halfens on an apartment just a couple miles away.  I was single then.

Lee mentioned to me more than once of his girlfiend.  A high strung old man having a lover?  I had my doubts.

Ater John and I moved into the apartment Lee asked one Friday would we be home that night, he would like to bring his girlfriend  over and see it.  Sure.

That night Lee kept to his word.  He and his mistress visited us.  Lee was a completely different person, he was casual, laid back, charming and witty.  He reminded me of the personality of Frank Sinatra.  His lover, I’m sure, was a “paid” arrangement that he squeezed in about quarterly or so.

But such a flip-flop in his personality, WOW!

No comments: