Friday, September 15, 2023

Book Report on MARVEL YEAR BY YEAR by Thoms DeFalco

 

Book Report on MARVEL YEAR BY YEAR HISTORY by Tom DeFalco.

I thought it was good.  It starts out when Marin Goodman created the comic publishing company TIMELY PRESS in 1939.  Somehow Stan Lee was in on it near the start.  I don’t remember reading it in the book but I think I read elsewhere Stan was Martin’s nephew.

It appears that for the first thee or more decades Stan Lee did most the writing and Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko did the illustrating.

Each chapter starts off with the main front page headlines for the year, with I thought was interesting, which told the reader what was on their minds on any time period.  Many names I knew from my MAD frame of mind such as Harvey Kurtzman, Wally Wood, Al Jaffee, Marie Severin, her brother John, and Sergio Arafgones.

Also of interest is Mark Bagley, who does SPIDERMAN for MARVEL.  I am no expert on the arty action of superheroes but I think he is very good.

I enjoyed the book, finding it very informative of the comicbook world.  The only gripe I have is that I read it on Kendal, which the illustrations were in black & white.  I think the colors of action heroes would make it much better.

 Art bv Mark Bagley:




No comments: