Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Car Wash Moments

 Thank you Al Wood for furnishing the picture of Minit Car Wash in Marietta on Roswell Street. It brought back memories.

I worked here at the Minit Carwash back in my early teenager life. Mr. Avery was the owner, the foreman was Pete, and the cashier was Bonnie. It was a magnet for a lot of us teenagers that needed quick cash. I think during my tenor there pay was eight dollars on Saturday, which was slightly less than a dollar per hour, and on Sundays less because we didn’t work as long. A friend, the late Jimmy McEntire, was one of the teenage weekend workers, I recall the regular labor work force there nick-named him “Chicken Head”. Which I thought of every time I saw Jimmy the rest of his life.
My time there I think Pete had to comedown on my about 3 times that I can remember. One was with my big belly when I bent over rubbing dry the hubcaps, my bent torso hiked down my pants which exposed the crack of my ass. Pete hollered loudly in front of every one for me to pull my pants up. Then here was the time my dry cloth yanked and broke a hood ornament That time at the end of the day I got nothing. They told me I was paying for the hood ornament I broke. I did not go back.
I remember another teenager, C.W. broke something on a car one time and they did not pay him that day. He very quickly told them either they pay him or he was going to come there late at night at throw rocks at all the windows. The situation was quickly resolved.
Next door as Carter’s Restaurant which management bought us each a hamburgers, about the size of a White Castle Burger, so we were on their time.
On the other side, up the hill was Anderson’s Service Station and next door to it was the Dairy Queen.
Also, several years later two of my friends were to meet two girls behind the carwash in the dark for fun and whoopee., They did not know the girls. It did not work out. One of the boys and one of the girls knew each other. They were cousins.



No comments: