Friday, September 25, 2020

My Early Playground

 

This O.M. picture on the second block of Atlanta Street was on Facebook yesterday.  Based on the car, this picture was probably taken in the late 1950s.

Next door to right, out of the camera’s range was a Standard Station, owned by a man named Hardage, I think.  His brother was a manager of a Krogers on Fairground and Clay Streets.  To the right of the Standard station  is Latimer Apartments.  My friend Van Callaway and his parents lived there.  Across the street Donna LeVann and her parents lived in an apartment there.  To the left was the Sears and Roebuck Store.  The building was an auto parts store.  I remember they handed out little black caps with their name on them.

 

Behind the auto parts store was a car junk yard.  Which was my solo Disneyland, sort of.   This was in the 1940s, my preschool days. I played in the old junk cars, some upside down, some sideways, and some bashed in.  They were my spaceships.

 

Playing by myself, making up adventures of rusty car parts as I came across them…. Those were the days.


No comments: