Saturday, September 05, 2020

 




Lloyd Cox was a very likeable principal, even if he was on to us.

Lloyd went on to become Superintendent of Cobb County Education.

If you noticed I spell his position correctly.  One time at student assembly he said it is surprising how many applying for a job addressed their resumes to the School “principle”  He said, no no, on the end is pal, school principal.  Think of us as your pals.  I retained that.

I also retained that we called him “B.Lloyds”, behind his back, of course.

B.Lloyds died in 2017 at age 97.  I took this picture of him when he was 93 when he visited our Good Old Boys” Meeting.

I remember one time a few of us at lunch time slipped over to a friend's house to play pool.  We also tried his father's moonshine, which was a conversational piece more than a drinking item.  We drunk more than we should, but skipped more than we should.  When we returned my cousin Dee Hunter walked by me and handed me a note.  She worked in the principal's as a student help.  The note said I had better make up something fast, Mr. Cox has been looking for me all over.  In the outer office he said he "got Eddie Hunter now!"

I went to the bathroom and put a bar of soap under my arms (I heard that would raise your temperature).  Then I staggered down the hall, I don't think that was a fake - the moonshine.  Lloyd saw me in the hall way and said, "Where have you been, I looked all over for you!"  I pointed to the boys bathroom  next to the Home Economics Class.  I said, "In their puking my guts out."

He thought I had the flu and sent me home.  Asked me did I have a way, which I did.

 

Here is a couple of quotes I remember (he was full of memorable quotes):

"Do you smoke Eddie?"

'"Yes."

Bending over in my face:   "Aren't you afraid you will burn your fingers?"


No comments: