Thursday, February 13, 2020

Rest in Peace Sam


Sam as my best man in 1967.





Today, February 13, 2020, my friend Sam  would have turned 79, if he had lived.  He took his own life in 2013.

Sam and I grew up together, starting in the Clay Homes Project in the early 1940s.  His father, in the Navy, was killed in the Pacific in WWII.

When  his mother Hazel invited me to visit them and play with Sam, I was impressed how neat their apartment was and Sam was allowed to wear socks inside instead of shoes.

We had many adventures and many conversations.  He gave every subject deep thought.  We got along great as long as we kept politics out of it.

He introduced EC Horror comics to me and the appreciation of comicbook art which I still keep up with today, over 70 years later.


He took his own life because he knew he had Alzheimer’s .  He saw his mothers suffer from Alzheimer’s and did not want to see his wife go through the same hell he had to.

Rest Peacefully Sam.


No comments: