Monday, November 19, 2018

Terry Townsend R.I.P.



Brothers Tommy (left) and Terry at a Varners' Reunion being question by a reporter.




Terry Townsend, an old friend, has died.  I have known Terry and his family since we were kids.  They lived on Moon Street almost next door to the Maple Avenue Methodist Church.  When I worked at the Big Apple I carried their mother’s groceries out and her three sons were her favorite subjects she talked about.  The sons were Termite, Tommy, and Terry..

Their father of Hill Townsend.  Hill and my father were local political buddies.  Hill owned the Black Satchel Café’ across from the Courthouse on Washington Avenue (Now, Roswell Street).

I hung out with Terry some in the late 50s and early 60s.  We were buddies during the houseboat era at Victoria Landing.  Terry was quiet and sincere.  I always enjoyed his company.

A couple years later Terry and I were in the Navy about the same time.  I ran into him on the NAS LAKEHURST, NJ Naval Base.  He was stationed at either Oceania or Newport, Virginia.  He was at Lakehurst to attend a class.  We had a nice reunion at the E.M. Club.

When we had our GOBAG (Good Old Boys and Girls) weekly get together at the American Legion Terry was always there.  Then he worked for the Cobb County Sheriff’s Department, the Prison Compound.

Rest in Peace Terry

No comments: