Friday, November 02, 2018

Listen Carefully





This morning at the pool I asked the lifeguard, almost my age how was his Halloween.  I should have remembered that he is always looking for someone to talk to, he started telling me. He started and at his first pause  I gave I nodded and shoved off swimming.  I went down the lane and back.  When I returned he was waiting to continue the his talk. 

Due to pumps, fans, and what the roar of the swimming team in the next pool I could not hear what he was saying.  But I could tell by  his body language that when he paused and smiled he just said another funny punchline, so I laughed and moved on only to return for him to continue.

Now, thinking it over, I wonder if told me what he thought was funny racial or something else that I would not think was funny, yet by laughing, like I caught on, it  was like I was endorsing him?

Darn.  I need to listen more when someone talks to me.

No comments: