Sunday, October 29, 2017

Unique Graves in Marietta

I should say "Unique to me."  I am not a researched local historian.  I'm sure I left out a lot that could have been interesting.  I used the  graves I knew something about.  Research?  What's that?
Also I did not include kin-folks except for one time. If I included my kin-folks, that would be a blog by itself.

Be sure and click on each picture to see something you might not have otherwise noticed.


Marietta City Cemetery

Al Bishop, manager of Larry Bell Park


Van Carol Calloway.  Friend.  Van was a diabetic.  He was to have a leg amputated.  The wrong leg was removed and Van died.



Sanford Stadium in Athens, Ga was named after him


My 5th grade teacher.  Van Callaway (above) pushed me against the railing of a fire escape at school and cracked my forehead opened.  Miss Shouse held my head up and pressed ice against the cut so I would not bleed out.  And the only thing I could think of is that women sure have soft thighs!


Clay Family



Senator Clay (statue in Glover Park)












Manget Plot Interesting resumme on marker









Leave 'Em Laughing





Owned the first pharmacy and his house is still stading






Confederate Cemetery


Drummer Bill York is the only ex-slave buried in the Confederate Cemetery


St James Episcopal Church

One of the Otis Brumby line.


Mayor and Judge






This gal and her babies have endured a lot of pranks through the years.  They are seated across the street from a school.  It was Marietta High School, now it is Marietta Middle School




Jon Benet  Ramsey



Patsy Ramsey, mother of Jon Benet Ramsey

aka Cobb County and Marietta's own Boss Hog



George Camp.  I think he was over Roswell Mills and lived in the Tranquility Mansion



Winters, Early Marietta Settler/Pioneer


Mr & Mrs Kolb.  Remember the Kolb Farm Battle on Powder Springs Road?  I don't know if this is the same Kolbs or not.  I see on the marker Mr. Wild Kolb died in August 1863, which was about 11 months before the Battle of Kolb's Farm.


Marietta National Cemetery


Henry Cole, donated the land for the cemetery


First cousin, once removed killed in action during the Normandy Invasion


Father of a friend  (Sam) who was killed at sea by a Japanese plane on a suicide mission


No comments: