Thursday, October 12, 2017

Throwback Thursday: Petty Siblings

click on to enlarge



Throwback Thursday.  On last week's Throwback  I had my great grandparents on my mother's daddy's side
Daniel Webster and Sarah Jane Garrett Petty.

This week are five of their six children.   The one missing is our grandfather William Elijah Joseph Petty, he may be behind the camera, but I doubt it.

Here is a brief description of the siblings in the picture:
Left to right, first row:  Dawson Wesley Petty (1879-1960), James M. "Jim" Petty, and  Ervin Petty (1882 -   ?  ).
Second row:  Sarah Alice Petty (1874-1958) and Nancy Jane Petty (1877-1965).  I get these two sisters mixed up, name wise, I don't know which is which.

Jim Petty lived on Jim Petty and his family had a farm on Jim Petty Road in Crandall, Murray County, Georgia.  Jim and Lillie Henry had 9 children.  One became a heart surgeon in Chattanooga, by the way, he had a daugher who graduated from West Point, and road a bike from New England to Florida with her brother, after he graduation.  Jim had another son, Carton Petty, who became a very productive farmer so much that he owned a bank in Chatsworth.

One time Jim's siblings had to hold him down so their uncle, Doctor Willis Garrett, could amputate his frostbit toes.

Siblings Alice, Nancy, and Wesley never married.   They lived together on a farm in a big unpainted two story house  on  a little dirt road directly behind Jim and Lillie's house.  

When I was a preteen we visited them often for Sunday dinner.  I couldn't stand their milk from their cow, it was bitter.  Wesley was the last of the three to live.  He died in a house fire, living alone.

Ervin Petty I don't think I ever met.  Early in life he moved to Detroit to find work and married a lady who owned a boarding house.  They had a daughter that ran away to work in a circus.

No comments: