Monday, August 12, 2024

Introduction to THE FANTASTICKS!

 


This cowboy carboard reminds me of today:

We went to the local Seniors’ Center today to see their acting class people put on 5 one act plays.

Which reminds me of one time one time about 1964 in the Naval Squadron in the barracks I was  grumbling about wasting money on non-tangible things.  One you spend it is gone.

My friend Sam Kasuske in the next cubical overheard my preaching and came in and told me to get dress to go out, he wanted to go to New York City.

New York is about 60 miles from our base.

On the way there he lectured me about making sure you see some memorable things  that you would never forget.  He reminded me of the time we went to Atlantic City during the Democratic Convention and Lyndon and Lady Bird Johnson came out on the balcony and waved at us in a cheering crowd.

He had me there.

We parked in Greenwich Village and walked in the rain to a church.  We, with other people went to the basement.  In a big room in the basement I saw for the first time musical live play of THE FANTASTICKS!

Sam has seen it many times.

I fell in love with that play and still find myself silently humming the songs.

Thanks Sam, if you are still among the living.


No comments: