Tuesday, September 18, 2018

The Invisible Eavesdropper





Sometimes when I am in the right mood I am glad I am invisible. 
Today in a department store I had “watch-the-pocketbook in the shopping cart duty” I found a comfortable chair and was seated hard at work doing my duty watching.  Two young female store clerks got near straightening out clothes on hangars.  One was proud of the other one that just got a promotion and put on as a regular.  They were laughing, giggling, and gossiping like teenage girls do.  One of the things I heard said, “Greg is going to be sooo pissed when he finds out you got promoted and he didn’t.”
Also the same girl asked her promoted friend what was the floor manager talking to them about as she walked.  I noticed that too, some of the short females had a hard time keeping up.   The promoted one said, “Just a bunch of B.S….   she likes to hear herself talk.”
“Well, what was she talking about?”
“Who knows?  I was thinking about me and Danny.”  She said.

And sometimes I wish I was more visible.

This is not the first time I was like a bump on a log and was right in the middle of two teenage girls talking and being themselves.
It reminded of the time I walked into McDonald’s in the middle of the day to get a Coke.  I walked up to the counter where two female counter clerks were standing talking.  Although I was the only one in the front and standing on the customer-side of the counter and they were only the width of counter away from me.  They were talking about their boyfriends.

I patiently waited, hopping soon one would glance up and see me.
One of their conversation was about to tell her co-worker and me about the technique she did when her boyfriend asked her oral sex.
I hate to be rude and interrupt people when they are talking, but I felt it was time to clear my throat.

They looked and there I stood, probably two feet from them.  They looked horrified, like a deer in headlights.  Both of them ran off into the innards of McDonald’s.

I don’t remember if I got a Coke or not.

No comments: