Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Paul Owenby in the Dentist Office






Today we walked into the dentist office.   A couple were sitting in the waiting room.  The man smiled at me like he knew me.  I thought it was Frank Owenby.  Upon examining him from a distance I decided it was not Frank, but someone that looks like him.

In time the hygienist called "Paul....Paul Owenby."

I jumped up, "You are Paul Owenby?"  (Frank's brother)

I haven't seen Paul since 2009 at the first Varner Reunion and that was only a brief moment when he was coming out of the head.  Before that I haven't seen him since he graduated about 1958.

We, as a gang, used to hang around the cabin in the back of his house, what used to be the slave quarters.

Long time, no see.  We had a nice conversation.  It was a pleasure to see him.  He lives in Blairsville now.

I was trying to tell him about people I thought he would be interested in.  Half way through one person I forgot the person's name I was telling about.  That was embarrassing.

But after his wife and he left the office I remembered the name.  I leaped out of the office and caught them at the elevator and told them the name.   I needed that, to reaffirm my brain to myself.


It comes with age.

No comments: