Thursday, July 04, 2019

Throwback Thursday, Roman Candle Burning





Throwback Thursday Memories.  When I was a preteen one time, I don’t remember how, I gained possession of a Roman Candle.
I couldn’t wait to try it.  It would have been at its best in the darkness of night but I was too impatient. 
In our front yard on Manget Street I stabbed it into the ground, in an upright position, got some matches and lit it.  Nothing happened.
I picked it up and shook it and something happened.  The sharp evil looking flame leaped out like a blowtorch.  I was holding it with one hand and it was over the burning end. 
My hand was scorched.  I was in agony.
Besides being hurt real bad I was facing two other problems:  (1) At the time Fireworks were illegal in Georgia and (2) My daddy was Chief of the Marietta Police.
The only thing I wanted to do was morn my pain alone.  I told my mother I was going to the Strand Theater to a matinee to see the latest movie.  Which I did.
I told the girl at the refreshment counter my problem and told me to buy a large Coke and she would keep it filled with ice and either water or Coke.  She told me she would keep it full with ice and liquid as long as I used the cup.  The cups were accountable – Coke and water wasn’t.
I sat in agony for two showings of the movie.  Sometimes I soaked it in ice water and other times Coke.  Finally, the pain lost it grip and I returned home and just kept that hand out of view for a few days.
The message here is be careful with fireworks Fool!

No comments: