Friday, February 22, 2019

Rocky's First Fishing Trip






Getting back to the meeting with the gentlemen from the County Parks:  On the new park there is a 5-acre pond.  The spokesman said they would clean outf the pond of dangerous stuff in the water and around the shore.  He said they would have experts examine the water and determine what kind of fish are there now, and if they are dangerous get rid of them.  How?  I wondered.    And they will stock the pond with fishable fish.  And, they will also put carp in.  He went on to say carp is good for ponds, they eat the fungus, bacterial, and anything else unhealthy.
Then I remembered one time when my son Rocky was young he and I went through the woods to a pond on Trickum Road to fish.  Rocky caught a big fish.  It was heavy.  We carried it home.  Our neighbor, the late Harold Killian, said it was a carp, and not good for eating.
The carp was still alive.  I forgot if we kept him a bucket of water or what.  We carried him back to pond and tossed him in.  He instantly flipped his torso and disappeared below water.
I wondered if somebody caught that carp and did not want it so threw it in the pond as they rode by.  But now I know, after hearing the man from the county park it was there for a reason, to kill unwanted bacteria and fungi. 
We almost cooked the lifeguard and ate him.

No comments: