Monday, January 29, 2024

Atlanta Company Still Practiced Slavery Years After the Civil War

 Posted on Facebook one year ago:


Either this morning or yesterday morning I heard on the radio that there was traffic snarl on Bolton Road (Atlanta) and the announcer went on to say if you do not want to be part of this traffic problem here is a way to go around it: Take Parrot Street! Take Parrot Street and you will miss the traffic tie up and end up back on Bolton Road. I thought to my self it was not Parrot Street, it is Parrot Avenue. I should know, I worked for Sinclair Refining Company on Parrot Avenue three years, after I got our of the Navy.. After the next song or announcement the announcer said that is Parrot Avenue, not Parrot Street.
Working at Sinclair on Parrot Avenue the side of my desk was a window that overlooked Parrot Avenue crossing railroad tracts and on the other side, alongside the Chattahoochee River was the big layout of THE CHATTAHOOCHEE BRICK COMPANY.
Yes, I said THE CHATTAHOOCHEE BRICK COMPAY.
The Chattahoochee Brick Company was in full operation as early as the Civil War.
One time I Googled Chattahoochee Brick. One of the things that popped up suggested slavery lasted until 1942; Black laborers were rumored to be buried on the property, et.
Back in slavery times Chattahoochee Brick Company got most of their manual labor from the slaves that was locked up in the Fulton County Jail.
After slavery was ended they did not change their labor ways. In fact, some men of color were arrested for just being at the wrong place and the wrong time.
Tch tch.

No comments: