Thursday, May 11, 2023

Nosy Neighbors Make the Best Security

Back about 1990. we had an addition added to the house. We had a den and a deck added. Anna and I both worked in the day time, so each day we left the workers doing their thing, which turned out good. Each day, our neighbor Harold would come over, walk on in the work area and talk abou wordly news to the boss. After they finished and we accepted and paid, the first morning after, I woke up and went to our new den with a cup of coffee, just to enjoy it. I was sitting there, in my underwear and I heafd footsteps on the new deck. Then the new door swung opened and there stood Harold", doing what he did every morning for the past weeks. He forgot they had finished. I forgo what mostly was said but I do remember one sentence he said: "There is no better security than nosy neighbors. Harold and his wife Kathleen have been dead for years. Their daughter Jane inherited the house and works at home. Jane has her desk aimed at the window, and she lives on a corner so she can see just about all traffic cominfg and going in our subdivision. Yesterday she saw a fire underneath a car across the street. She called 911. The fire department arrived and was trying to put out the fire when the car exploded. It Jane had not called 911 the people living there might have parished. I thought of what Jane's father Harold told me about nosy neighbors.

No comments: