Monday, January 02, 2023

Blind Charley and His Sister

In the upper right is what looks like an old unpainted shack. If it is the old shack I think it is/was it was on Glover Street. Glover Street ran from Butler Street (now Atlanta St.) to Fairground St. In the old shack were blind old man and his sister. The man's name was Charlie. There was a clothes line from the back porch to the outhouse. The line served a duel purpose for Charlie. in my preteen years I used to like to drop by and visit with Charlie and his sister. My dad and his parents and siblings, mostly brothers (1 sister) lived around the corner on Manget Street and apparently had a lot of misadventures and I think Charley witnessed most of them and got a kick our of them. He told a lot of them to me and my memory glands did not retain them. After we moved and I was in high school Daddy (being a chief of police) told me Charlie and his sister had died and they were buried in Potters Field near Allgood Road and Blackjack Mountain. Later Potters field was churned up making the I-75. Charlie's eyeballs pultruded it seemed at least a half inch outward. Not long before he died, I dropped in a taxi company on Mill Sf at a little building that is a heath food or something place now. I just got out of the a scary movie and was too scared to walk by myself after dark. At the Taxi company behind he counter at a squawking radio was the blind dispatcher. Charley had an excellent memory of the streets of Marietta and had excellent diction so I bet he did a good job. But that night when I told him where I wanted to know he showed no recognition at all. Seem he would know my voice tone.

No comments: