Monday, September 19, 2022

Old South BBQ in Smyrna

As I already posted, we had lunch at Old South BBQ in Smyrna today. I think about 51 years ago when we were first married we wanted black-eyed peas for New Years Day and finding a restaurant serving those was not easy. Old South came through. I like their non-pretentious down to earth mannerisms. And the fact that the waitress addresses all the men folk Sweetheart, My-love, or Sugar is nice too. I remember also years ago when they were first starting out the neighborhood kids often came in and helped themselves to a Coke at the dispenser. Maybe their kids were part Our Gang bunch too. I don’t think they do that now. I also noticed often that police cars and ambulances parked outside, not for emergencies but for the grub. Today I saw the waitress point to the pictures of the owners and tell someone they were her parents. Also while being friendly with the customers, she learned the white headed dignified man she was talking to was his birthday. She seemed hurt that she wasn’t notified it was his birthday today.She volunteered to go get the Big Birthday Hat for the dignified man to wear. In body language I think he said, “Over my dead body.” Also, as finale’ today we saw I had spilled some homemade chili on my shirt. My suave plan was to get my glass of water and dip my napkin into the water and then scrub my shirt with the wet cloth. I never got past step one. I spilled the glass of water all over the table. Time to go anyway.

No comments: