Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Brother Will

Brother Will For 15 or so yeas I worked in the Time Keepers Office of the Atlanta Post Office. For a year or two I had no definite reporting time, or it was floating a reporting time. I mostly relieved other time keeper clerks on their off days. That is where I got to know Brother Will. I had to twice a week go an Atlanta Post Office outpost off Chattahoochee Avenue, The Parcel Pos Annex. It operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so it had to have a timekeeper there he whole time. Brother Will worked from midnight to 8:30 AM, and twice a week I was there to take over when he got off. Brother Wil was laid back and never got upset, and seemed to have a not of running jokes with a lot of people on the workroom floor. Here are a few amusing facts about Brother Will. He was the father of 9 daughters. I remember when his 9th daughter was born he did not make it to the hospital for the because he was involved in a poker game.. Brother Will played a lot of poker on his off time.. One morning when I came to work the time keepers office smelled like farts, lot of farts. He chuckled and said, “You just caught me cooking eggs!. His wife was also a potal employee. She was late a lot. She was due in at 3:30pm, if I remember correctly. I wrote her up for being late a lots and most of the time it did did not bother her. But one time I remember she scolded me, saying I did not give her enough time.. Brother Will had a part time job with his own show on radio station WAOK. For a short time he was calling in sick a lots. One supervisor thought he would trap him so he recorded the time on his WAOK radio show he gave the weather and news, which was up to the minute. – which was the time he was out sick. I don’t know how he got out of that, but he was a very calm smooth talker. Once we were told of a new procedure we timekeepers would have to do. Most of the time keepers fussed and carried on. Brother Will said, “Just something to, it won’t kill us.” I think that sentence changed my whole outlook about working and cause me to respect Brother Will more.

No comments: