Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Bike Wrecks







My 4 year old grandson had a bike accident the other day. He is OK now, but I think he was shaken up to begin with. I hope he looks on it as one of life's little lessons, this one being gravity and balance.

His bike accident reminded me of my own bike accident when I was about 7 or 8 years old. We lived almost one mile from Waterman Street School. Back then I rode my bike regularly to school. One day when school was out it was pouring down rain.

Someplace on Atlanta Street near north side of Clay Street my bike slipped in the mud from a driveway and that is last I remembered of that ride. Then my mother saw a Victory Cab pull up in our driveway on Manget Street. The driver got out with me slung over his shoulder and then opened his trunk and picked the bike up with his other hand and hiced it under his arm. Then walked up porch steps and handed us over to Mama with her mouth agape. I was out cold.

I have no idea how the Victory Cab Driver knew who I was/am.

No comments: